Friday, February 17, 2012

Yup

They turn ugly, just like the rest of us. Although, I must admit, some of them look a little better after having grown up.

PS: Which reminds me of the words engraved on my millionaire, miser, eccentric great uncle's tombstone:

"Stranger, pause as you pass by.
As you are now, so once was I,
As I am now, soon you will be,
Prepare in life to follow me."

He was quite the character. As a child I remember him driving by our house with his old car just a-ripping along in second gear. Didn't believe in full-throttle driving, I suppose. There was also a story about him sitting on the steps to a hotel in Seattle, looking shabby and for all the world like some good-for-nothing bum, when a hotel employee tried to hurry him along. Much to the employee's surprise, he was told that the shabby gentleman owned the hotel, so PFO! My mother used to tell the story of his curt remark on the news that my brother had been born. Being the sole male with two older sisters, Uncle Ernie was said to have declared to my mother: "I hear you had a stroke of luck this time." Oh, those were the days.

Apparently he used to bring a bagged lunch with him when he went to town on business. He even requested that his burial and funeral arrangements be as "simple and inexpensive" as possible. He died in 1960, the year I turned 11. His estate was worth $1,388,310.89. All of that from frugal living and wise investments. His will was dated April 1st. April Fools Day.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home