Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Random Thoughts

It seems April is a good month to die. I'm still alive but I'm not so sure about the kicking part.

So far this month there have been about four or five people who were prominent at one time or another during my younger days who have kicked the bucket including Ralph Klein, Maggie Thatcher, Reveen and Annette Funicello.

My Dad died in April way back in 1977. As his casket was being lowered into the grave a flock of Canada Geese flew over, cackling in their usual way. It was almost as though they were giving a final salute to the old soldier. Something to remember him by, in any case.

There's still several feet of snow covering my property, so I guess there will be no grave-side ceremonies for any local who croaks this year in April, whether or not there are flocks of geese to mark the occasion, and I don't think there will be any.

We're having a "slow melt" which is a good thing, I suppose, as both the provincial and local governments are furiously making plans to deal with flooding that is expected this spring, should it ever arrive. Better to be prepared than not.

One more random thought. In my younger days I was a news and politics junkie. But these days it seems that everything that happens has a familiar ring to it. Same old, same old. New names, perhaps. New location, in some cases, but still the same old stuff over and over and over.

I've been documenting absurdities on this here blog for quite some time now, but it seems nothing has really changed. Every generation produces it's absurdities and leaves a few of them unresolved for the next crop, who invariably blame the old folks. Some day soon, I'm going to produce a delicious rant about the younger folks and their propensity to blame everything under the sun on us Baby Boomers.  But, hell, nobody listens to old fogies.  That's about the only thing that never changes.

Oh, there's a meeting tonight at the local Town Hall, where the new assessments will be explained and the Town Council will be making presentations. I'm going to that. Might have something to say about that, but we'll see. My sister seems to think the Town will just lower the mill rate, so our taxes won't go up. You can bet that topic will be raised tonight.

Oh, and did you know, this is the 5100th blog entry I've made. Just thought I'd throw that in there for good measure.


Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

5,100! Congratulations, Louise. You da Woman! :-)

April 10, 2013 6:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home