Sunday, July 08, 2012

Ever Thought...

...that the world is just like one giant soap opera? When the same people start doing the same things to the same other people (different actors playing the same old role, though) for the umpteenth time, all I can say is YAWN!

I started this blog years and years ago as a place where I could vent in response to a blogger (Catty Catnip) who had banned me. Then the Iraq war began and I focused on it. Now it's just the insanity of politics, whether local, national or international.

In my lifetime, only one earth shattering, history changing event has occurred, that I can tell, anyway. And that was the collapse of communism. Except useful idiots are still with us. To date, there's no sign that they're going anywhere soon. So it's just blah, blah, blah.

Can you forgive me for not wanting to believe we (Canada) have turned a corner? I'll have to live at least two more election cycles and see Conservatives or a reasonable facsimile elected before I'll believe our resident useful idiots are down for the count, but even then, that may not be long enough. History normally unfolds over longer periods of time than that. Think of the reformation and the counter-reformation; the era of European empire building; the industrial revolution; the scientific and enlightenment revolutions.  Did anyone living through those eras know it would lead to what we see all around us today?  Every once in a while, some major event happens that sends us off in a different direction, and none of us knows where that direction will lead or if, perhaps, it might even be stillborn.

Oh well. We older folks are supposed to leave a mess for the younger ones to clean up. It's always been like that. They'll do the same thing.

We all do the best we can with what we're given and hope against hope that when we're gone, the mess we made isn't any worse than the one we inherited.

Wouldn't it be nice if we all had crystal balls?  Or, for that matter, if we could learn the right lessons from the past.  Maybe George Santayana wasn't right. Maybe it doesn't matter whether we remember the past. We're condemned to repeat it, no matter what we do or what we think we know.

And remember. Never trust anyone under thirty.

Still, I'm glad I came of age when I did, even though coming of age in the 60's and early 70's meant I still had a lot of growing up to do when it became evident that we weren't gonna change the world. Or maybe we did? How the hell am I supposed to know.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger SnoopyTheGoon said...

"We older folks"? Come on, what kind of talk is this? And it's not winter yet in your corner of the world.

Not to mention you not visiting anymore...

July 08, 2012 3:50 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

"Not to mention you not visiting anymore..."

Mia culpa. Mia culpa. I shall endeavor to correct that.

And I don't know which is worse in my corner of the world. Blazing hot weather or winter. I think winter might be preferable, since one can always pile on more clothes and go for a brisk walk. Eventually, one will be toasty warm.

There's a limit to what you can take off in the blazing hot summer.

July 08, 2012 6:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home