Monday, April 25, 2011

Blah, Blah, Blah, Blah

Went and voted today. First time I've ever done the advance poll thing. I was the only voter in the place at the time, but perhaps that's because it was the lunch hour.

Anyway, I have largely ignored the campaign this time. I find the usual blah, blah, blah pretty boring. At my age I have already figured out what the Liberal brand is all about, what the NDP brand is all about and what the Conservative brand is all about. Campaigns do nothing to help change my mind. They merely confirm my overall impression yet again, but perhaps the next time I should make an attempt to attend an all candidates meeting and actually ask some hard questions, cause I don't see any of you actually voicing any thoughts on the things that really concern me.

Beyond all that, I'm glad to see the Liberals and the Bloc have been delivered a rude awakening. I'm nearly 100% certain that the NDP has reached its zenith. They will never form the government, but at least we now have a clear choice between left and right.

I'm hoping strongly, of course, for a majority Conservative government, followed by a rapid implementation of a vast number of overdue tricks to be pulled from the scary hidden agenda bag. But, to be frank, I'm not expecting much from a Conservative majority, other than a stable government which may or may not have the balls to rid us of some long standing wasteful programs and socially destructive institutions.

I said at the outset, and I'll say it again, the CBC has to be the first to go. I'm convinced the reason Harper keeps harping about the recession not being over is because he wants to cut deeply into much of the Liberal Party's state funded legacy and I think he will be more likely to do that if he can blame the cuts on the economy, coward that he is.

Also, I'm about to move back to my home town. I'll be there around June 1st. Once I'm settled in, I think I should join the Conservative Party and work to change the system from the inside, as the old saying goes. We'll see.

Until then, I'm bloody sick and tired of politics and the Canadian status quo. I've got a home to clean, a three year old grand daughter to fete this weekend and a move to prepare for, so screw you, politicians. Until I sit down to watch the results come in, I'm done with this election.

Oh, and Iggy, Jack - I haven't listened to a word you've said throughout the entire campaign. I've never been interested in your brand Jack, and Iggy, your brand expired for me in 1984. What annoys me about the Canadian political landscape is that your two parties are still standing. You should have died decades ago. With God as my witness, I hope you are gone by the time my little three year old sweetie ventures into the voting booth for the first time and I hope she can get excited about some of the things she want's to see and actually has faith that the person/party that she's voting for can actually get something done.

Sadly, her mother is one of those apathetic young folks who don't vote and it's because, as she told me the other day, she doesn't see any difference between the Libs and the Cons, but at least she has the common sense to know the NDP is a lost cause.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger huffb1 said...

I hope you keep blogging even after you move Louise!

April 25, 2011 10:43 pm  
Anonymous Atlanta Roofing said...

I thought about the Liberals. Unfortunately, they do not currently support proportional representation. Therefore, I chose the NDP instead. I do wish the NDP and other opposition parties well. All the best to the Canadian voters on Election Day.

April 26, 2011 12:38 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home