Tuesday, November 25, 2014

You Go Girls!!

Iranian Cleric Beaten by Women after Ordering Them to Wear Hijab
"An Iranian cleric has claimed he was beaten by two women outside a mosque after he warned one of them to cover up.

Hojatoleslam (a middle ranking cleric) Ali Beheshti told the semi-official Mehr news agency that he advised one of the women, whom he believed was not properly dressed, to cover her eyes.

"She responded to me by saying: 'You [should] close your eyes," the cleric said, according to Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty.

Ali Beheshti, a leading religious figure in the city of Shahrmirzad, repeated the warning to the woman, saying their attire did not follow the Islamic dress code that became compulsory after the 1979 revolution.

"Not only didn't she not cover herself up but she also insulted me. I asked her not to insult me any more but she started shouting and threatening me," Beheshti said.

"She pushed me and I fell to the ground on my back. From that point on, I don't know what happened. I was just feeling the kicks of the women who were beating me up.""

Erdogan: Women are not equal to men
"Lawyer and women's rights activist Hulya Gulbahar said Erdogan's comments were in violation of Turkey's constitution, Turkish laws and international conventions on gender equality and didn't help efforts to stem high incidences of violence against women in Turkey.


"Such comments by state officials which disregard equality between men and women play an important role in the rise of violence against women," Gulbahar said. "Such comments aim to make women's presence in public life - from politics to arts, from science to sports - debatable."


Erdogan, a devout Muslim, often courts controversy with divisive public comments. He has previously angered women's groups by stating that women should bear at least three children and by attempting to outlaw abortion and adultery."
There is hope yet.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home