Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Wow!

When the Soviet Union fell, George H. W. Bush talked about a "new world order" emerging.  And I was around when the "new world order" following the withdrawal of the Brits from world hegemony, which, although extended over a rather long time, was a class act, if you ask me.  In most cases, not much more than a handshake and an invitation to keep in touch. So, I have some experience of seeing old world orders replaced by new ones.

But I'm sure no one was thinking of the sort of "new world order" Fouad Ajami and Charles Hill are talking about. (Note especially the remarks at about the 38 or 39 minute mark and again at 51 or 52 minutes.) If this happens - My God - I won't recognize the place.   But then again, maybe I'll be gone.


I don't blame Americans, if they are sick and tired of their role in the world, but if not them, who?  China? Scaaaarry.  Iran? Even scarier.  The Russians will be in there like a dirty shirt.

Who said, the more things change, the more they stay the same? Like hell! Although I think I already told ya', somewhere in the back pages of this here blog, about a history professor who told his class (of which I was a member) that history is just "one damned thing after another".  That's more accurate.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home