Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Sometimes....

...Sitemeter provides such tantalizing little morsels for me to chew on.

Just a bit earlier today, someone from the UK was searching for "Katepwa History Book" and landed on this page.  Katepwa is the name of the district where I grew up. There's a Katepwa Lake about a mile east of the homestead where our house stood. The one-room country school where I got my "readin', writin' and 'rithmatic" skills (such as they are) was called Katepwa. It still stands today, although it long ago ceased to be a school. Various people have owned the building and lived in it over the years, but I believe there is still a sign on the side of the building that says "Built in 1919. Year of the Great Peace", or something like that.  The word "Katepwa" is said to be Cree for "Who Calls?", and is rooted in a legend about the Qu'Appelle (French for "who calls") Valley and River made famous by the poet Pauline Johnson.

Now, who in hell's bells in the UK would be looking for a Katepwa history book?  I have distant relatives in the UK. Could it have been one of them? If so, a shout out to ya, cuz.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

Or maybe some history student at a British university.

May 15, 2012 8:14 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

Frankly, my dear, I don't know how a Brit would be searching for anything with a Cree word in it, unless they knew someone who had settled in the area way back when.

This valley that I grew up in figures somewhat prominently in the late fur trade era, but other than that, I can't see how any student would be the least bit interested in or even aware of Katepwa, unless they have long lost cousins who went out to the colonies and settled in the area (which would be my ancestors). Maybe we'll be getting some visitors this summer - just as we're set to head out to B.C. for a wedding.

May 15, 2012 8:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home