Monday, August 29, 2011

Blessed Event: Sixty Two Years...

...seven hours and thirty two minutes ago, I was born. Ten toes, ten fingers, everything in working order. Likely bawling, but I don't remember for sure.

Anyway, nothing special planned, except that my sister has invited me over for supper this evening.

Other than that, it's just another day.

Oh, and another thing. My parents considered several names for me. My father liked the name Frances. He also had a sister named Olive. My mother favoured Louise. I ended up with all three names, although, my mother, being the person who wore the pants in the family, must have insisted they refer to me as "Louise" rather than "Frances". Consequently, I have traveled through life with the initials F O Louise. I don't think she thought that one through. Or maybe she was just too innocent and unworldly.

My Mom use to play this on the piano:



Hey! Why can't I be self-absorbed once a year?

Another thing my mother used to do every fricken year on my birthday; she'd retell me that the year I was born they (dad) finished the harvesting the day I was born. Must have been early, or something. It never occurred to me to ask why she had to tell me that over and over again. Anyway, that was before they used to let fathers into the delivery room to witness the birth of their children. So I guess he must have driven mom to town, dumped her off at the hospital and went home again to finish the harvest. And what a bountiful harvest it was that year, eh!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous MaxEd said...

Happy birthday to youuuuu...

August 29, 2011 10:17 am  
Blogger Louise said...

"You belong in a zoo...
With the monkeys and the lions...
And you look like them too!"

That's the version that's sung in our family.

August 29, 2011 10:37 am  
Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

Happy Birthday, Louise! :-)

August 29, 2011 10:42 am  
Blogger Louise said...

How did you know!!???

I was smitten with Beatlemania in 1964. Same year I started high school. I don't think there's been another phenomenon like Beatlemania, although Michel Jackson mania may have come close, but I never liked him. I was an old fart by then.

August 29, 2011 11:17 am  
Blogger Louise said...

hehehehe

Underneath that video someone wrote:

"I type in "Birthday" and youtube suggests "Birthday sex-Jeremih". Talk about disappointment. The music industry of today has lost its meaning, full of autotuned crap that makes no sense."

That's pretty much what my father used to say, too. I remember him saying, referring to the Beatles: "Ten years from now you'll never hear of them."

Hah, hah. He was wrong.

August 29, 2011 11:22 am  
Blogger Louise said...

"michael"

See. Can't even get his name right. ;-)

August 29, 2011 11:23 am  
Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

"I was an old fart by then."

Geezer-dom is a state of mind. Or maybe a lack of a state of mind. :-)

Here's my post-birthday day Happy Birthday song for Louise. :-)

August 30, 2011 7:59 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

But Biddydom is real.

August 30, 2011 8:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home