Sunday, May 22, 2011

You Don't Say!!

I hear there's a Canadian team in the Stanley Cup playoffs this year. I have no idea if it's the quarter finals or the semi-finals or the final finals. It's only the third week of May, after all.

Meh!

Basically, I began to lose interest when the league went through its big expansion into warm climates, ... and when Gretzky was traded to one of those warm places, that was it.

Question: Do Canadian prairie farm boys still play shinny? I'll bet there aren't enough boys left on farms to play a good game of shinny, - nor, for that matter, those road apple production machines, horses - so the frozen road apple puck is likely a thing of the past.

Ya, I'm old. I was sort of sad and happy at the same time when this happened, 'cause I still think Gordie Howe was the greatest of them all. I don't even know if Gretzky's record has been beaten, but far and away the best thing about both Howe and Gretzky was they were gentlemen on the ice. Their fame was earned through their skill at the game of hockey, not by beating people up, and via their gentlemanly behavior both on and off the rink, something that is far too rare in NHL hockey these days and is another reason why I lost interest in the game. /old fart

But I do remember being glued to the TV during the Canada - Russia hockey series - the year God was Canadian. That was our contribution to the defeat of the Soviet Union during the Cold War.  What a nail biter that one was. When the final goal was scored, it was one of the few occasions where I remember exactly where I was - in the doorway of the student lounge in the Education Building at the U of S.  The lounge, of course, was overflowing with screaming (class-skipping) students. Nyet! Nyet! Soviet!  Dah! Dah! Canada!

PS: But this was delicious:

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Dave in Pa. said...

That was a great moment for Canadian sports, just as this was for American sports. High Fives and let's savor those great memories! :-)

May 23, 2011 10:13 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home