Thursday, January 13, 2011

Did I Prompt This?

Bargain hunters rejoice: Target heads north

Wait for it. There will be a sharp upturn in the number of mass murders occurring in Canada. You know what those target symbols can do.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, Monsieur Tarjé is coming to Canada. It'll be interesting to see what happens when Canadian unions attempt to unionize their stores.

If I were Monsieur Tarjé, I wouldn't even bother looking at operations in Quebec. What sensible business would want to invest a large amount of money in that socialist, bureaucrat-infested, EU-wannabe regulatory nightmare province.

Any speculation on this?

January 14, 2011 1:56 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

No. Retail is one place where unions still haven't made a lot of headway. I seem to recall more than one story in recent years of places where some outside union came in agitating for the formation of a union and the local employees sent them packing. Unions have done themselves a disservice by being such greedy, rapacious SOBS and annoying the hell out of us by going on strike thereby disrupting our lives.

It could be their time has passed. All jurisdictions now have pretty decent labour laws that guarantee workers will be treated fairly and provided with a safe environment. Other than that and decent wages, unions have nothing left to push for, other than making their leaders very wealthy.

I think one of the biggest problems is that in a unionized shop, membership in the union is compulsory. That seems to go against our charter right of freedom of association. If we did have freedom of association in the workplace, unions with whither and die, IMHO.

I've worked in union shops before, and frankly, I'd rather have the union dues go into my pocket, than be deducted from my cheque, for all the good my membership did me.

January 14, 2011 2:27 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

And about Quebec, there is a fledgling movement there to rid themselves of their "socialist, bureaucrat-infested, EU-wannabe regulatory nightmare". We'll have to wait and see.

January 14, 2011 2:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home