Tuesday, April 21, 2009

1984 Redux

The clowning of Ahmadinejad.
"Because I had a press pass, I was able to attend Ahmadinejad’s press conference immediately after the walkouts."
[---]
"Ahmadinejad drones on and on, of course. Listening to him answer questions is terrifying and instructive at once."
[---]
"Language is turned upside down. Everything is its opposite. “Democracy” is totalitarianism. “Human rights” are oppression. “Freedom” is repression. Your head starts to spin. I think I remember from 1984 that Winston Smith got a headache listening to that kind of language."
[---]
"It’s one in the morning here in Geneva. I am looking out the hotel window to make sure he is gone. What remains as a question is who allowed Ahmadinejad to speak at this conference in such a prominent position?"


Who, indeed.

2 Comments:

Blogger Osh said...

The blame may likely be laid at the doorstep of Ban Ki-moon -- by default.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0421/breaking49.htm

"Mr Ahmadinejad was invited to speak first because he was the only head of state at the conference, though invitations had been issued to all heads of state, Mr Ban added."

It's a lame explanation, but it appears to be the only one offered.

April 21, 2009 11:25 am  
Blogger Louise said...

I must admit, I rather like the video I've seen of the guys wearing clown hair being ejected from the room. Highly appropriate symbolism, if you ask me.

April 21, 2009 12:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home