Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Nice

Murder 329 people, go to jail for 20 years, get out and go free. Something is wrong with this picture.

I'm a bit squeamish about the death penalty, but it seems to me that people who commit mass murder on this kind of scale, should not ever be allowed out of jail. Same goes for the creepy sicko kind like Paul Bernardo and Clifford Olson or the pig farmer, Robert Picton. Now, I know there will frequently be some small element of doubt, especially if there is no solid DNA evidence, but with DNA and other forensic science tools available now, perhaps some of these creeps should be put out of their misery. I don't want to foot the bill for a real "life" sentence any more than I want the these creeps to be let out after only 20 years.

When Air India happened, I remember one of the passengers on that flight was a young girl who worked as a cashier in Zellers in the Lawson Heights Mall in Saskatoon. At least I think it was a Zellers outlet. It was some lower scale department store, anyway, and that was a long time ago. I remember shopping there just a week or two before that fateful flight and having been served by her. I remember thinking what a pleasant, customer friendly service ethic she had, the kind that makes you happy to return to the store again. I was shocked when I learned that she was on that flight. I often think about her family and how they must have suffered. What a senseless loss of such a promising young woman. It still makes me sick all these years later that those families have to be hit again and again and again.

There are people in Japan, too, who will not be comforted by today's news. Two baggage handlers in the Tokyo airport were killed with bombs in luggage that was meant to be on board the Air India flight. Twenty years seems like such a long time, but I wonder if survivors of these kinds of senseless acts can ever really get over it. I mean, really. What did Japanese baggage handlers have to do with a political fight going on in India? Why did they have to die? And what crime did a sweet young cashier in a department store in Saskatoon commit that she had to end up dead in the sea just off the coast of Ireland while on her way for a holiday in India?

I have tears in my eyes, even now. This is not a day in which I can repeat my usual "the world is unfolding as it should" refrain. It is just not right that Inderjit Singh Reyat is a free man and I think the Indo-Canadian community is right to feel a sense of betrayal over the way this case has unfolded.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree 100%. Justice seeking Canadians were betrayed by our incompetent legal/justice/law inforcement institutions.

We tolerate the followers of violent intolerant religious sects be they Sikh, Muslim or whatever.

July 10, 2008 12:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home