Thursday, January 17, 2008

Apparently I'm a Centrist

Take the quiz. Tell me what you are.

I guess all those angry lefties are wrong about me. I wonder if they would recognize a real right wing extremist if they came across one? I have this theory or model that places all political positions on a circle, not on a spectrum. Extremists at either end of the left/right dichotomy are back to back on the same spot on the circle. It's not so much the content of our beliefs that determines our position on the circle, as it is our method and approach to dealing with those with whom we disagree and with issues that matter to us. Thus the folks at both ends (or with their backs together, to use my schemata) are prone to hammering and smashing anyone who disagrees either into the mold they desire or into oblivion. In fact, the "oblivion" option is often the one taken when the opponent refuses to fit into the mold.

I have this old poster with a quote from American author/philosopher, Henry David Thoreau, who enjoyed a bit of a comeback from the grave during the 1960s. It goes like this:
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."
That, in a nutshell, sums up my philosophy. Those at the extreme might want to "improve" upon it thusly:
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. pound the shit out of him until he does."

4 Comments:

Blogger huffb1 said...

I did the test. It said I was a Conservative Libertaran.

http://www.theadvocates.org/quiz-score/quiz.php

January 17, 2008 5:35 pm  
Blogger huffb1 said...

ahh! The URL is wrong it is showing the result you got.

January 17, 2008 6:07 pm  
Blogger Louise said...

I'm not sure I follow you, Huff. When I click on the link I get the test, but I don't get my results.

January 17, 2008 6:23 pm  
Blogger huffb1 said...

hmm.. well thats not what its showing me. Anyway the link does not matter I said what the result was on the first comment.

January 17, 2008 6:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home